Much to the horror of all your iPhone loyal friends, you have decided to step away and go the android route. But you have spent so much money, time, and effort, downloading your favourite music, your heart sinks when you think of leaving it behind. Fear not! There is a way for you to copy over your much-loved library, and you have two options of how to go about this. You can copy your music from an iPhone to your desktop, then transfer those songs to your newly purchased Android device. The second option is to install Apple Music onto your Android smartphone, sign-in to your apple account and re-install all those songs.
Android devices are famous for the fact that they can be used like any other USB storage device. So, just like you would copy from your laptop to an external hard drive, you can do the same with your new phone. You will need your phones USB cable to perform this task. Your iTunes will need to be on your laptop or PC for this method. Otherwise, you will need to be logged into your iTunes account from a computer.
- Step 1: Connect your android device (phone, or tablet) to your computer, select “transfer files” or MTP on your cell phone screen.
- Step 2: Open File Explorer and find your way to the music folder on your android device. The route followed for a Microsoft operating system is usually: This PC -> (your phone, e.g. Xperia XA1) -> internal storage/SD card -> Music. Leave this window open
- Step 3: Open a new File Explorer window and then your iTunes library. Select the music (you can select all of them if you have enough space on the phone, or choose your favourite) in the iTunes Window and drag them over to your phone’s folder.
Google Play Music allows you to store music in the cloud and will enable you to save 50 000 at no charge. The only downside to this is that you will need a connection to the net to stream your music. Luckily though, there is a choice to pick your favourite items to listen to offline.
- Step 1: Enter the Google Play Store in the URL search bar and click “Music”. Take note; you will need to be logged in with your Google account.
- Step 2: In “My Music” click on the three lines on the left and select upload music in the Listen Now Menu and download Music Manager if you do not already have it.
- Step 3: Once logged in, click on upload songs to google play, and then click on the Next button. You should now be able to open the folder holding your music. Again, you can upload everything, or just your favourite selection. There will also be an option to sync iTunes and Google Play music automatically.